We could pretend we can write a better guide than Proxmox themselves, but that is completely impossible because the Proxmox documentation in exceptional.
We’ll simply highlight a couple of gems and interesting tidbits and then refer you to the actual docs themselves.
- Download special disk, network, and ballooning drivers here: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/stable-virtio/virtio-win.iso
- In addition to mounting the Windows ISO, also mount that fresh ISO as IDE device #3 (god knows why 3 but just do it)
- Ensure you select QEMU. You always do, don’t you?
- So here are interesting disk settings:
- Set “Write back” as cache option for best performance
- Tick “Discard” to optimally use disk space (TRIM)
- Driver location on CD:
- Hard disk: vioscsi\2k19\amd64
- Network: NetKVM\2k19\amd64
- Memory Balloon: Balloon\2k19\amd64
- Choose SCSI bus as you normally would for the disk
- Choose this network device: VirtIO (paravirtualized)